Knitting Machine Forum New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» new from Southern California
Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 4 EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 6:43 am by maroneybrenda

» hi im a newbie from Australia
Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 4 EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 9:35 am by Irish maggie

» new too, from Virginia
Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 4 EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 6:31 pm by weegie

» Glad to join this group
Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 4 EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 11:59 am by weegie

» Hello from Canada
Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 4 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 10:45 pm by weegie

» Hi from UK
Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 4 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 9:57 pm by suemoo00

» Another UK saying Hi
Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 4 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 3:41 pm by wishiwasknitting

» New Girl from the UK
Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 4 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 1:30 pm by linda coulson

» first post from an Oregoian
Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 4 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 5:09 am by tpmcgoo2

Gallery

Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 4 Empty
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 4

Go down

Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 4 Empty Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 4

Post  Teabag Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:03 am

151.barb - I bought one on here recently, had awful trouble setting it up, and finally got in touch with a lady from the nz machine knitters society, and luckily she was expert, lived nearby and came and sorted it all out for me - no charge - BUT, she said I had paid far too much for it (which I didn't think I had) and said they often have them to give away! You could check out their website and see what they have available, but you do need to be a member to take advantage of any give-aways!
kuaka

152.hi...thanks for all this help ladys i have got my eye on one on tm it is in tauranga and i am in hastings i am a bit iffy seeing i cant see before i buy i know years ago i just gave mine away as u said they go for next to nothing they even did years ago
barb119

153.Starter needing help! Hi all my name is SARA I am from the Christchurch/Canterbury region and I have just brought a knitting machine its a Brother model one. The problem is I can without any problems thread the little sliding machine part and pass it over the needles (hocks) but I can only do that and then I am lost! - I will never get to making a top at this rate HELP!!!
ent1

154.a long shot maybe but has anyone got a spare row counter gadget.. the one that slides on the main bed of a Singer 321 or 323..
grannypam

155.Hi ent1
Not too sure what your problem is - do you have a manual to refer to? To start knitting you need to use a cast on comb - if you are just using the main bed then you use the cast on comb with the hooks facing toward you and you lock it onto the gate pegs before you can start knitting. You then bring the needles forward to position B, thread the yarn through the carriage and pass from right to left. Yarn will hang on the hooks. Drop the cast on comb off the gate pegs (without dropping the stitches!) and keep knitting. Let me know how you get on. Good luck
tinybaldone

156.My cast-on-comb is...just a tooth like thing with a wire that goes through it I managed to get a little piece knitted by casting on with knitting needles and tranffering but then after that I have not managed after my 5 other goes.
ent1

157.Hi again ent1 Sorry I didn't get back to you last night - have been unwell for the last few days and gave in and went to bed at 8 o'clock last night. The cast on comb (c-o-c) that you are referring to is the one to use for ribbing. Is that the only one that you have? You really need the other kind as well. When starting off the knitting it helps to keep the stitches firm on the needles. If you don't have manuals for the knitter and ribber you should really try and get some - it's very hard to manage without! I still refer to mine on occasions when doing something that I haven't done for a while.
tinybaldone

158.Hi there I am wanting to get a machine. Can anyone tell me how hard it is to make socks on it as Im wanting to make highland dancing socks??
proudmumof2

159.Anyone out there who has a Toyota Punch Card Knitting Machine Model K747? My mother used to have one and has just purchased another one but is a little rusty on getting started with it again. Some help, if anyone can, would be great!
jbbs

160.Does anyone have a Cast On Comb for sale??? I am wishing to purchase one or hocked weights? please advise if you do.
ent1

161.Hi proudmumof2 Have only ever made socks with a seam up one side - not difficult at all, even with the heel shaping. Can't comment re circular socks as have never tried to do them. I think if you are wanting to do a pattern on them you'd have to have a seam up the side. Don't know for sure but seems logical.
tinybaldone

162.proudmumof 2 you need to have a ribber to do circular socks. I have done them, but wasn't as happy with them as the seamed socks. I do have a pattern book for them though. GP I'm pretty sure I have a spare row counter. I will confirm tomorrow as it's under the spare bed. I'll also see what I've got in the way of cast-on combs, right now I can't remember what I've got stored away.
brish

163.just bumping up just because this is way down low on the list. Just come back from a week in Dunners were the whole family managed to get Norrow virus!!! managed to loose 3kgs.... didn't do any knitting or sewing.
nogin

164.Hi nogin How disappointing to be ill while away - hope you are feeling better now and ready to get into your knitting!
tinybaldone

165.Oh dear We were down at no 89! Is anyone doing any knitting? Must confess I'm hand knitting at the moment, but have quite a few projects lined up for the machine. Hope you are all coping with the winter weather OK.
tinybaldone

166.I'm sick of winter, although today was quite warm when the sun shone (and if you could find a spot sheltered from the freezing cold wind). I haven't done any machine knitting yet, but have been busy hand knitting and crocheting. I did try to do some machine knitting the other day, but was obviously doing something wrong as I couldn't seem to cast on, and yet I managed to do that a couple of weeks ago. Curses.
kuaka
167.wow i just found this thread.i was given my mums knitting machine a few yrs back.silly me never got round to getting her to show me how to use it.i used to sit for hrs and watch her knitting.but it didnt sink in.anyway i have set it up and now dont know how to use it.i remember the day she got it.would be maybe 35yrs ago cont
gime1

168.we lived in oamaru at the time.dad had bought it home and had set it up 4 her and then gone back to work.she had been crying cause she couldnt work it out.she eventually taught herself.she had dementia and when i got round to asking her how to use it she couldnt remember.i set it up this wk and decided that i would have a go.well what a mess.i have contacted the nzmk club but havnt heard back from the lady yet.was wondering if any1 in chch that could give me some help
gime1

169.its a singer memo-matic 321.has all the parts.any help or advice would be great.thanks irene
gime1

170.gime1 - I hope you get it sorted. I was in all sorts of strife with mine, until the local lady from NZMKC came round and sorted it all out for me, she's an absolute genius. I would never have done it myself. I hope you find someone to help you. I thought I had set it all up properly but I didn't have the ribber lined up properly and mine needed a new sponge bar, so it was never going to work without some expert intervention!
kuaka

171.hi kuaka thanks for that.ive had a few tears over it.maybe its frustration or still to close to mum passing im not sure.i will get it sorted.i emailed some1 in the nzmkc but havnt heard back yet so hopefully they might be able to put me on2 some1 in chch.
gime1

172.good morning i had email from a lady at nzmkc and there is a meeting nxt wk(13th)so im going to go to it.hopefully it will get me started.i will have a play round with it in the meantime.ya never know i might pick it up.
gime1

173.for those who need to replace sponge bars I decided to have a go at replacing my and found this link, its got photo instructions which really helped! http://knittsings.com/how-to-make-a-knitting-machine-needle-retainer-sponge-bar-part-1-remove-t <br />he-old-and-clean-for-new/ its in 3 parts, I hope it helps others Smile
shane191

174.Hi gime1 Good luck with the meeting on Wednesday - hope all goes well and you get set on your way with the knitting machine. I'm sure you'll have great fun once you get underway. Be sure to let us know how you got on.
tinybaldone

175.hi tinybaldone i am looking forward to going.i havent touched it sine wed.been handknitting.i have bought some 4ply wool ready as mum only used 4ply.8 was 2 thick.will let u know how i went.tho i think im coming down with a cold so i hope i'll be ok.
gime1

176.knitting machine well I have finally purchased one and oh dear there was one clamp missing to hold it on to table plastic thing to hold rod where the wool goes through is broken no punchcards she could not find the table she gave me a wool winder no clamp she could not find the table so mailed her back she said i could buy the clamps anywhere no such luck she was still looking she said when i mailed her the second time now I cant cast stitches on I am in hastings so perhaps someone can help me
barb119

177.Oh dear barb119 What bad luck! Sorry I can't help with spare bits, but you could try asking a question on an auction for knitwit7b - she seems to do a lot of selling of knitting machines - and may be able to help you out. Good luck - keep us up to date.
tinybaldone

178.thanks how on earth do i get onto knitwit 7b please help
barb119

179.barb119 What brand is it? I have spare sets of punchcards for Singer 321/2/3 series, and could possibly spare a clamp too, will need to check.
brish

180.thanks it is a singer 322 323 that sounds good to me will be good to be able to start knitting
barb119

181.Do you have a ribber or just the main bed? Just asking, to see what cards I have. I'll list them so that you can make contact. I have a few clamps and you use a different one if you have a ribber. Is it a shallow angle from the table or a steep one. I think it might be the shallow one you need. And it sounds like you're talking about the auto-tension rod. There should be a hole either side of the handle to slot that in. Is that all missing?
brish

182.sounds good yes I have the ribber the clamp i have got is a steep one and yes the tension rod is missing I am tempted to buy another one thanks
barb119

183.where where abouts do you live brish
barb119

184.I'm in Wellington and I don't mind posting the cards and the clamp, but the rod is a bit trickier, that's if I have a spare. You won't be able to knit without one. I mainly just want to cover postage. Would you like me to find out how much the rod would cost to post? I'll hunt them out in the morning and see if I can work out how much it will be. I could just do an auction with just a basic text, so that you will know what it is, but I'll post here again in the morning.
brish

185.got it I have got the tension rod brish did not realise that i had it sorry
barb119

186.Phew, that's good I guess it was clipped into the lid? Just one more question. Is the missing clamp to hold the ribber to the table, or the main bed to the table?
brish

187.main it is the main bed I want the clamp for please
barb119

188.Oh good, because I'm more sure of having that one:) It's too dark and cold to go looking tonight, but I'll do it in the morning and let you know details before I list.
brish

189.thanks thanks for that it has got a bit cold i think we are in for a good frost tonight now if i dont get on this till 12 dont worry as i have work in the morning but will be home by 12 or 12.30 thanks
barb119

190.Hi barb119 Glad to see you seem to be under control thanks to brish. For future reference, if you wish to look up a trader, go to Community - click on Member profiles and type in the name of the trader that you want. Profile, feedback and listings will come up.
tinybaldone

191.Barb119 I have to go out late morning but expect to be back 1-ish. I have the cards and the clamp:) The cards will cost $2 to post and the clamp $2.50, and I'll put up a small charge to cover listing etc. If this suits, I shall just list them as accessories with a buy now.
brish

192. ok... thanks for that brish I will go on now and have a look it is the clamp for the main bed I am needing will go and have a look thanks you are an angel
barb119

193.Just got home now so will list.
brish

194.Done Smile
brish

195.done, all done this end have filled in all the paper work so at last i can see some head way for my knitting very much appreciated thanks
barb119

196.hi...have been to bank all done am looking forward to parcel thankz
barb119

197.We were way down the list! Is everyone hibernating? I know that I'm doing as little as possible - just spending my time trying to keep warm!
tinybaldone

198.Probably just that it's easier to hand knit while watching the Olympics. It was nice to be able to help the others out though, and with another grandchild due in about 3 weeks, there will be plenty more to do.
brish

199.good how is every one still have not got knitting machine set up to how i want it but have knitted a couple of things all good so far am of to get my table today and then i will jack up ribber and hopefully I will be onto it you lady's are great to help me the way u have the parts were all good brish so looks like my weekend will be all knitting
barb119

200.Hi barb119 Glad to see you're finally organised with your knitting machine. Have a great knitting weekend and do let us know how it all goes!
tinybaldone
Teabag
Teabag
Admin

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-09-18

https://machineknittingnz.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down