Knitting Machine Forum New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» new from Southern California
Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 1 EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 6:43 am by maroneybrenda

» hi im a newbie from Australia
Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 1 EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 9:35 am by Irish maggie

» new too, from Virginia
Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 1 EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 6:31 pm by weegie

» Glad to join this group
Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 1 EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 11:59 am by weegie

» Hello from Canada
Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 1 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 10:45 pm by weegie

» Hi from UK
Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 1 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 9:57 pm by suemoo00

» Another UK saying Hi
Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 1 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 3:41 pm by wishiwasknitting

» New Girl from the UK
Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 1 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 1:30 pm by linda coulson

» first post from an Oregoian
Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 1 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 5:09 am by tpmcgoo2

Gallery

Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 1 Empty
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 1

Go down

Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 1 Empty Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 1

Post  Teabag Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:59 am

***Knitting Machine Thread***

1.***Knitting Machine Thread***
A few weeks ago i bought a knitting machine off here, its just a basic one but its really neat and i just love it...and then blow me down, while cleaning out some space up stairs, theres another one, but this one is a double bed one with punchcards and does lots of fancy things which im not sure about yet, but i thought maybe with all the interest in knitting machines lately i would start a thread!!!
teabag75

2.Teabag, did you find another one at your place
smartgirl

3.yes smartgirl...i found out it belongs to dp's nana and she said she bought it many moons ago and hardly ever used it (which i can tell) as its in great condition and she then gave it to dp's mum, who never used it either and when we bought the house from dp's sister, it was up in the attic, dp's mum put it up there to store it.
teabag75

4.how neat, have you checked out the rest of the attic for more treasures.
smartgirl

5.well i bought one too and still haven't found time to set it up! Busy decorating but hopefully will be set up soon. Mine is an early electronic used one before many moons ago and had quite a good little business going. (mind you my mum used to do all of the sewing up and she is back in the UK) Looking forward to making clothes for grandson down in Dunedin.
nogin

6.I had a knitting machine once and made quite a few things on it too, but it gave me RSI! It really is bad for the back and arm, so take care!
knittingbee

7.Teabag - What a great find.......Wish I could find things like that in our attic - ours is full of out-of-season bedding, old business records, quite a few kleensaks of wool (don't tell my hubby) and about 100 jigsaw puzzles! What make of machine is it? Whatever make it is, I'm sure you'll have great fun using it, especially with a ribber and all the punch cards, etc. I've had a knitting machine for about 35 yrs, and my present one, which is a Brother 830, I've had about 30 yrs. Hadn't used it for a while until the birth of our grandson who is now 19mths old. I find that I'm really enjoying it once more.
tinybaldone

8.question for teabag...I too have bought a knitting machine of trademe, and was wondering how you did your casting on of stitches.My instruction book has two methods which dont produce a tidy edge, and the one method for a tidy edge is threading the wool manually over each needle-bit fiddly if I have a large garment to make.Was wondering how you picked it up so easily!
noworries2

9.tinybaldone...it is a singer cardomatic 313 with the ribbing attachment... dp is making me a table for it so that i can have it set up permanently, it is too big to be setting up and dismantling all the time. It still has all the punch cards and tools so it sure was a great find in the attic!!!
teabag75

10.noworries...what i do is a bit Irish i suppose but i cast on using my knitting needles and then transfer the stitches to the machine, it leaves a really tidy edge...i hope this makes sense!!!
teabag75

11.all i have in my attic is insofluff stuff which we are all allergic to.
furrball

12.Thank you teabag... might be "Irish"but if it works, Im all for it.
noworries2

13.Hi there, noworries2 Are you talking about casting on for the knitter only or using the ribber? Casting on for the knitter only, the best method is the e-wrap - winding the yarn round the needles - it looks like a row of writing e's. Put the cast on comb first - pull out required no of sts - make a slip knot and put on the first needle. I use my right hand to wind the yarn and keep my left hand under the needles to stop the yarn already on the needles from loosening. Don't wrap too tight! Makes a very neat edge.
tinybaldone

14.I think I might have a Singer 313 manual tucked away somewhere. I used to teach the Singer Memomatic knitting machine, and the 313 was the one before. I had the manual in case anyone wanted to know about it. I've just had a quick look, but will need to have a more thorough one, but if I find it I'll come back to this thread. In the meantime, I have a Toyota KS 787 manual if anyone would like that. Also with the Singer one, I do have a "How to do" booklet that would probably help. I think it was written when the Memomatics came out, but it's mainly basic nowhow. I also have a Brother Knitting Encyclopaedia. I have machines for Africa under the bed, but not all whole. I still use mine.
brish

15.mmmmmmmm if someone can show me how to use one i might be interested in learning. mum couldn't get the hang of it, so the knitting machine was his thing. i'm sitting here knitting a sideways jumper for a wee one.
furrball

16.you are very braveyou must really be enjoying it. great stuff
smartgirl

17.furrball,I would more than be willing to show you how to use one. Hopefully will be able to set up my machine very soon and you are welcome to come for a lesson and a nice cup of tea! Jane
nogin

18.thanks for the offer but i have a few things on the list to buy before a knitting machine.
furrball

19.sorry misread the thread thought you had one under the bed!lol
nogin

20.only suitcase with wool. i wished dad had taught me to use the knitting machine. i don't know what happened to his one.
furrball

21.noworries2 Do you have a ribber with your machine ?...casting off is easy on the last row use tension 10 then use hook with latch tool and start at end furthest from last stitch and pull one stitch through the other ( pull it off the needle)to make a chain cast off.
nanjay

22.Blank Punch Cards any-one know if blank punch cards can still be bought in NZ or OZ.
nanjay

23.blank cards, just did a search, pretty poor response. Knitworld looks the best prospect here do a google for your nearest shop. Or aussie ebay have a few listed total of 11 blank cards!!! If you are only doing small patterns try taping the existing holes and repunching them. I certainly have reused cards doing this and didn't encounter too much problems just make sure that you place tape strips edge to edge of card so it doesn't get caught.
nogin

24.Hi nanjayI purchased blank punch cards from Newsons in New Lynn about 12mths ago. Not sure whether they still have any left, but worth a phone call!
tinybaldone

25.can I join the thread? I have been wanting a Knitting machine for ages now. I asked hubby a few months back to sak his mum if she had one. He said he had never seen her with one. So I left it at that. Today MIL was here and I happen to say I was craving a knitting machine. She said An aunty had one but wasnt sure if aunty still had it but would ask for me. An hour after leaving MIL rung to say yes aunty still had knitting machine and I could have it! Sooo coooool! I was very excited! Hubby happen to be out her way at the time so rung him on cell phone....
shane191

26.ctd and said go to auntys house she has a knitting machine for me. Hubby arrives home. Knocks on lounge window and says open window so I can pass machine through. What comes through. four boxes! a singer memo-matic 321, a ribbing attachment for it, a stand, and a Bond knitting machine. Everything with all the stuff it needs or came with!! I just could not believe it. Now the big question. How in the world do I use it all????
shane191

27.shane191,How exciting for you.Shame you do not live in Auckland, otherwise I would gladly instruct you on setting up your machine using and on going servicing. I am now retired after 30 years of machine knitting.With perserverance and patience . you will be buried in sweaters in no time at all.
cariadg

28.Welcome shane191, How lovely for you - No wonder you're excited! I too am in Auckland so unable to give any hands-on advice, but only too willing to do what I can through the mb. Only problem could be that my machine is a Brother, but I think basically most machines are the same. Perhaps between all of us, we'll be able to sort out any problems that you might encounter.
tinybaldone

29.23--24 thanks for the info much appreciated
nanjay

30.I was up till midnight last night! fussing with my machines. I got the bond figured out and knitting. But the singer, well i can't seem to cast on with it or get it to knit. The thing u move across is always jamming, or its very stiff, not sure whats going on with it. did give it a good clean, but am wondering if it needs oil (which I have for it).
shane191

31.shane191try moving the top carriage only across without wool or needle selection.if thats ok pull some needles forward and try again if it jams then it could be bent needles or if using ribber and top bed it could be out of line. hope this helps
nanjay

32.shane191,As the machine has been out of use for a while, the sponge bar may need replacing. The sponge bar holds the needles firmly in place. When you pull the needles forward, do they feel quite firm or are they floppy? If floppy, you probably need a new sponge bar.
tinybaldone

33.Sponge Bar,Where do you go to get one of these. South Canterbury area but don't know of any Singer stockists. I'm having the same problem as shane191. Mine is a singer 321 Memo matic.
pheobe

34.re -sponge bar.I was told these cost about $40.00. Hence I make my own or at least I did. Got to go and make dinner, will try and explain how to fix your own later this evening.
cariadg

35.the needles are firm when pulled down and i have noticed one bent needle (have spears though). however i figured out what I was doing wrong. I had the needles pulled right down, where as if I only pull them a 1/4 of the way down, and then pull across it knits. BUT when I came back across it does nothing. The book says to lay the ravel cord over the knitted yarn, which i do but its not knitting like the first row.
shane191

36.im wondering now though what about hand knitting a few rows and then putting it onto the knitting machine? any tips on doing it this way instead of casting straight onto the machine?
shane191

37.Have you got a manual for the 321, because I think I could help you out there? It sounds as though you've got the russell levers (side lever on the carriage) in the wrong place if it won't knit back from the D position (needles right out).
brish

38.yip i have the manual the side levers is set down (the oval looking shape) as it says in the manual for casting on and stockinet knitting. I also gave it an oil as it says in the manual and its running across alot smother.
shane191

39.Sorry, I see you have a manual If it's not knitting on the return of the carriage, then you have got cam lever on slip on one side of the carriage.
brish

40.Or you've got one russel lever forward and one back. To use the ravel cord, knit across with normal yarn, then holding one end of the ravel cord firmly in the left hand, bring it over the needles (into the hooks) and down at the right. Hold both ends tightly together below the carriage, and knit back across. Knit several rows with the ravel cord in place, then you can pull it out. This will give you a loose edge that will unravel but you can use it for the waste knitting that they talk about.
brish

41.I think I'm probably confusing you more. I've got a cold, and am probably coming across muddle-headed. It's so much easier to show than explain, and I tend to it all autmatically now. I do know there's a knitting machine club in Christchurch (and other ones elsewhere) and I think it might be a good idea to see if they have someone who can show you. Anyway, here is the site and if you scroll right down, you'll find the link for Canterbury. http://www.nzmks.org.nz/
brish

42.33 for sponge bar. When you take out your sponge bar, and the foam is in line with the bar. Then the foam will most probably need replacing. Carefully lift the material away from the old foam, this can sometimes be very messy and sticky especially if the old foam has practically disintigrated. Cut a piece of new foam no more that 12mm deep. And that is the full length of the bar is best.I do not have foam that length so I cut 3 strips and cut the tips at an angle. Place new foam between the bar and material.[ The material should still be attached to the bar at both ends]. Carefully place back into the machine holding the material firmly so as to hold the foam in place. Usually you end up with some excess material due to stretching but this does not seem to affect the knitting provided you make sure that you have the foam covering the last needles at both ends.
cariadg

43.sponge bar continued The extra effort in pulling the bar out with more care than normal is a small price to pay, compared with buying a new one. I have done this for years. And now my knitting friends are doing it too. Hope the instructions are clear enough. So much easier to show in person.
cariadg

44.HEY NO. 42 what great instructions will try making one for my machine as singer sponge bars well.... who knows where to get one of those -
homestead_tm

45.brish thks heaps for the link, i am going to contact them and perhaps join!
shane191

46.Hi there cariadg Have done the same as you in the past when caught out, only I raided hubbys workshop and used draught strip - it's the right width and has an adhesive backing. Very fiddly, but you can put it in under the material of the sponge bar with the sticky side up and when in place peel the backing paper off carefully and stick the material to it. If anyone wants to buy a sponge bar (in Auckland) Newsons in New Lynn had some recently. With the popularity of machine knitting lately, they may have sold out!
tinybaldone

47.well i have been back up in the attic and to my suprise, i found the legs for the knitting machine and some more wool and another wool winder...YAY!!!!
teabag75

48.i love my wool winder. best things i ever bought. only thing is i can't put a knitting machine in my handbag.
furrball

49.teabag it you want to sell that extra wool winder I might be interested.
smartgirl

50.yes i am after a wool winder myself now.
shane191
Teabag
Teabag
Admin

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-09-18

https://machineknittingnz.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down