Knitting Machine Forum New Zealand
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» new from Southern California
Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 3 EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 6:43 am by maroneybrenda

» hi im a newbie from Australia
Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 3 EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 9:35 am by Irish maggie

» new too, from Virginia
Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 3 EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 6:31 pm by weegie

» Glad to join this group
Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 3 EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 11:59 am by weegie

» Hello from Canada
Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 3 EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 10:45 pm by weegie

» Hi from UK
Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 3 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 9:57 pm by suemoo00

» Another UK saying Hi
Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 3 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 3:41 pm by wishiwasknitting

» New Girl from the UK
Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 3 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 1:30 pm by linda coulson

» first post from an Oregoian
Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 3 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 5:09 am by tpmcgoo2

Gallery

Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 3 Empty
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 3

Go down

Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 3 Empty Here is the thread from the Trademe Message Boards PART 3

Post  Teabag Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:02 am

101.thanks tinybaldone, I'll look into that next week sometime, been out all day at a snooker tournament (and again tomorrow) and then Monday I have an order to do, so will investigate a bit further as soon as I get the chance. Freezing cold up here ladies, wet and windy too!
kuaka

102.Hi kuaka Don't envy you being out in this weather - I'm assuming that it's the same at your place as it is here. We've had sun, lightning, thunder, squally rain and hail. Coldest I've been so far this winter. Spent the day knitting - some hand, some machine, so it hasn't been a wasted day.
tinybaldone

103.knitwit To anyone interested, Lister Yarns in Timaru have various knitting-machine spares, and the NZ Machine Knitters, Society Inc. have a 'buy, sell & swap ' page with various goodies advertised. I have been a machine knitter for yonks and it is very interesting reading all the problems and solutions in the posts. Although an adult garment can be knitted in a matter of hours, sadly, it does take a lot of patience to learn to use a machine but well worth the effort. Take heart.
unclemac

104.thks unclemac. Im near Timaru so will check it out i have a couple of quick Qestions if anyone can help. im getting holes, how do i stop this? is this a sign of droped stitches? is the waist knitting worth it at the start? on the singer when do I put the weights on? and is the garment suppose to knit in a circle (does that make sence)is the first row suppose to stay on the sinkers and then it just knits down (hope that makes sence).
shane191

105.If you're getting holes it sounds as though you have a needle not knitting for a row and then it starting to knit again. If it was a dropped stitch, there would be a ladder. Check that all the latches are opening and closing easily, especially where the hole was. If in doubt change the needle and see if that helps. It depends how you are casting on as to whether you need the waste knitting or not. You only need use it where you are going to turn up a hem, or for any other reason, just want a rough edge. If you are wanting a permanent edge you should cast on with the e method, or the ribber.
brish

106.Cont. As far as hanging the weights goes, hang them as soon a you can. If you are using the ravel cord, hang them as soon as you take that out (3 or 4 rows in). If using the e cast on, I like to ease the needles out to D position (russell levers on II) on the next couple of rows, being very careful to support the knitting under the needles by pressing your thumb or fingers against it, so that half the work is done and then hang the weights on as soon as I can. If you are using the ribber, you hang the weights as soon as the cast-on comb is in place.
brish

107.Shane You shouldn`t have anything round the sinker posts once you start knitting. It is a long time since I have used a Singer so check the manual for plain knitting. It really seems that you may have the carriage set to knit one way only. That would also cause holes if the work is catching on the sinker posts. The other scenario is that the sinker-plate assembly is not atttached properly or is faulty. Good luck, am awaiting results !
unclemac

108.Hi everyone Found this down at no 81! Isn't anyone doing any knitting? I'm having a wee respite from knitting - sewing instead. Hope you are all churning out copious amounts of garments!
tinybaldone

109.ive been busy on the machine and by hand tiny Making miss 7 a jersey on the machine as my attention span would never cope doing that by hand...i dont mind the smaller things!!!
teabag75

110.Hi teabag Isn't it strange how things go full circle? When I was not long married and with 2 young kids, I didn't have time to hand knit large garments as I was involved with running our business (all the office side of things), so the knitting machine was wonderful. Now I've got the time (we are retired) I have arthritis in my finger joints and wrists and can't hold heavy knitting, so it's back to the knitting machine once more. Doing beanies and baby things is OK by hand as they are small and weigh very little.
tinybaldone

111.im still figureing the cast on probs im having. Im not sure why its attching to the sinkers. But I attached the ribber last night, so I am off for a play on the machine.
shane191

112.Hi shane191 Sorry I can't be more helpful, as my machine is a Brother, but I'm sure someone (or two) will be able to help you, even if it becomes a joint venture! Good luck with the ribber. It will probably work just fine.
tinybaldone

113.Shane Sorry that you are still having problems. If they persist, as you live in Timaru, have you thought to take the machine and carriages etc. to Colin Good of Lister Yarns to check over for you? He is a whizz especially with Singer machines and would soon have you up and running. Good luck.
unclemac

114.hi just got back from sydney and saw this thread way down..... thought i would bump it back up. looks like the knitting machine is staying in its box until the decorating is finished!!! Going down to see grandson next week and I might go and buy a few things to take down instead of some nice home made bits. shame on me!!!
nogin

115.they had some coned yarn out at the factory shop when i was there yesterday. sorry i didn't see a price. i was to busy looking at the new organic yarn they have bought out.
furrball

116.My first machine knitted cardi http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/29/72042029_full.jpg
teabag75

117.Well done teabag that's a real achievement, and it looks so good. It's quite exciting isn't it?
brish

118.thanks brish...i really enjoyed doing it...not too happy with the bands though, although they are done by hand, it will come with practice i suppose...
teabag75

119.Did anyone see Close Up the other night? With the machine knitters club!!! One lady had made 3000 jumpers over 11 years, now if my maths is correct that is around 1.34 jumpers a DAY!!! Now that is production!!!!
teabag75

120.Sorry I missed it! That's some knitting. Mind you, knitting the garment is easy and doesn't take too long - it's the sewing up that takes the time! Here I have to confess that I'm very fussy about sewing up as I think it can make or break a garment.
tinybaldone

121.yes tiny thats right...I am too, my mil says that even with sewing it should look as neat and tidy on the right side as it does on the wrong side so i have kept that thought with all my crafts!!!
teabag75

122.have a look here tiny... http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/465467/1917746
teabag75

123.Thanks for the link, teabag Have just seen your message. Have been sewing most of the day and just now got back to the computer. Some great knitting!!! Re sewing up - does anyone have a Bellinky? They have always been hard to come by and I remember just beating someone else to the one I had. I was so pleased with myself but I did feel sorry for the other person, they were so dejected! Stupidly, I sold it a few years ago as I had no need for it then - now I'd love to have it back again.
tinybaldone

124.whats a bellinky? Ive never heard of them?
teabag75

125.Hi teabag Re Bellinky - bit hard to explain, but here goes. It's a hand machine for sewing up knitting. You hook the edge of the seam onto the teeth of a long comb (both bits of garment) and wind by hand through the machine and it sews the seam. Makes a very neat job. Unlike my description which is anything but neat!
tinybaldone

126.wow...that sounds like something i could do with...must google it and see what i come up with!!!
teabag75

127.tinybaldone, there was a "hague" linker on here a few weeks ago (at least I think that was the name of it) looked a bit like an overlocker but with a handle on the side like on the old fashioned hand sewing machines, I was surprised it didn't go for more, think it was around $55 from memory (which isn't as good as it used to be so don't quote me).
kuaka

128.Hi kuaka Missed that one - sounds as though it could be similar. Saw one or two Bellinkys on TM quite a while back, but I still wasn't doing much knitting at that stage. Freight could be a problem - they are heavy! Still, not as heavy as a knitting machine. On the subject of knitting machines, have you managed to get yours going properly yet?
tinybaldone

129.just bumping up because i can!!
nogin

130.tinybaldone, the linker I'm referring to was pick up only in Auckland city! Yes, I've got the machine up and running but haven't actually achieved anything much other than test pieces so far. I've been meaning to mail you. Will do so soon to bring you up to date.
kuaka

131.I have found someone local ...who is going to give me some informal instruction on the Passap Duomatic I inherited, she has the same machine Smile
haycam1

132.i didn't find a machine but hubby did buy me a sewing machine. and he has promised to sort out the computer room so it can go in there as i have a laptop now. so i better crack the whip on the weekend.
furrball

133.furrball, there's an Empisal up for auction at the moment in Manawatu (I think) and it's $5 no reserve. That's the same sort as teabag bought recently and I've had one since new in the early 70s. They are a good basic machine.
kuaka

134.i have no way of getting it here. oh well never mind. back to sorting a few things out. i have to pick up my script from the dr. 1 dream at a time i think.
furrball

135.Kuaka Have just seen a Hague linker for sale on TM - looks complicated and starting bid is $200 but NOT reserve, so don't think I'll be bothering with it! Pity, pick up is next suburb to me.
tinybaldone

136.tinybaldone - bu**er! I'm sure the one I saw previously was only around $50.
kuaka

137.tinybaldone, I've just had a look at the one for auction now, and it's different 'cos it's electric. The other one definitely had a little handle at the side to crank round, other than that I have no idea how it worked. Isn't it annoying when you sell something 'cos you think you don't need it any more, only to find out later that you need it again. Done it so many times that now I'm reluctant to part with anything which is why my house is bursting at the seams - it needs to go on a diet.
kuaka

138.Kuaka, don't mention hoarding!!! It's a dirty word around here. Have so much "good junk" that we had to put in a pull down staircase up into the roof space, put in some flooring up there, and now we can't move up there - it's full to overflowing. As is the rest of the place. The more storage we put in, the more stuff I find to fill it up. Hate to even consider moving. Hubby's just as bad, if not worse than me, so I don't think that there's much hope for us.
tinybaldone

139.tinybaldone, I know exactly what you mean, but whereas where I have "junk" he has "important stuff that he needs just in case!" (course that's his opinion). I have noticed too that he only sees my mess and clutter, doesn't notice his at all.
kuaka

140.hi kuaka - the last hague linker and it was a manual one with the handle went for $380 - the one for sale right now is electric - there was an old old one on tm recently not a hague but very primitive maybe that was the one that went for $50? -
homestead_tm

141.homestead - I was sure it went for $55, might be wrong, but I was surprised how cheap it went, and put it down to the fact it was pick up only. It was in the last 3 months I'm guessing, but I can't find it in expired listings. Maybe it went for more than that and the reserve was $55.
kuaka

142.hi kuaka pretty sure that was the old belinky - wasn't the circular but rather straight with extensions - indeed primitive - I have an electric linker that I love although mastering it to its'full potential is an art - just using to sew up is very easy but it certainly gives a professional finish when linking bands if the old eyes are 20/20 -
skenvoy

143.BUYING hi to every one i am thinking of buying a knitting machine had one years ago then found i never had the time so here i am now in the golden oldies and got heaps of time which is the best one to buy and the easiest one to work
barb119

144.Hi barb119 That's a very curly question! Everyone likes their own machine precisely because it's the one that they are used to. I have a Brother 830 and find it great, but I'm sure that someone with a Singer (or Toyota) will tell you the same thing. It will also depend whether you want a machine with a ribber. If you don't want a ribber, the Empisal is a great machine. Good luck with your search!
tinybaldone

145.yea I would want a ribber has it is ribbing i mainly hate doing any one out there got one for sale
barb119

146.a knitting machine will always be on my wish list. and on that note back to work for me.
furrball

147.re #119 that is amazing Back when I was really keen, I knitted 43 ballet crossover cardigans in about 4 months and thought that was good, and then a couple of years later. I also did 93 children's jumpers/cardigans for a charity shop along with family knitting all in one year and I thought that was good going. I've never had a linker, but did learn to graft which saves a lot of time with seams, and also how to sew up nicely. I pride myself on my sewing up as that makes or breaks a garment doesn't it? Another thing I've always done is write down every garment I've made, noting the tension and type of yarn and any adjustments to pattern. It has saved so much time becausae it meant I didn't meed to do a swatch if I'd used that same yarn before. Bar119, I have a Singer, but I'd say either a Singer or a Brother if you haven't used one before.
brish

148.Hi barb119 Quite a few knitting machines for sale on here. Go to Crafts - knitting and weaving - other and type knitting machine in at the top and you'll get a list of all those for sale.
tinybaldone

149.yes barb, i got mine on here for only $10.00 and its perfect, came with all the tools etc, and then blow me down i found dp's Nana's double bed one up in the attic!!!
teabag75

150.to barb I have used Brother machines for years and recommend a basic one with ribber.
jord37
Teabag
Teabag
Admin

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-09-18

https://machineknittingnz.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down